Kings Plates and Cheltenham
The Cheltenham Festival never disappoints. Despite battling rain, wind and mud, Cheltenham hosted four days of spectacular racing showcasing the finest National Hunt racing has to offer. Farriers were mentioned (and televised) on more than one occasion, nothing quite like working with the eyes of the world on you! Well done to all the farriers – at the course and at the yards – that do an incredible job keeping these horses shod. It was made all the more special for us to see Kerckhaert race plates in the winner’s enclosure!
Our Cheltenham winners included –
- Beware the Bear claimed top honours in the Ultima Handicap Chase at Cheltenham. Trained by Nicky Henderson-Beware The Bear was shod by Chapel Forge Farriers and was wearing Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates and Liberty Nails
- Harry Skelton won the Mares' Hurdle with Roksana. Roksana was shod by Spud Allison, Phill Smith, Dave Webley with Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates and NEW Liberty Carrera Secure Nails.
- Le Breuil was successful in the Cheltenham National Hunt Chase and was wearing Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates and Liberty Nails, as used by Charlie Sands Farriers
- Topofthegame won the RSA Insurance Novices' Chase for Paul Nicholls. Topofthegame was shod by Tom Bougourd and Dan Hubbard in Kerckhaert Kings Super Sound Race Plates.
- William Henry survived a dramatic finish to win the Coral Cup for trainer Nicky Henderson. William Henry was shod by Chapel Forge Farriers and was wearing Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates and Liberty Nails
- Altior won the Champion Chase extending his winning streak to a record-equalling 18 races. Altior was shod by Chapel Forge Farriers with Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates and Liberty Nails
- Defi Du Seuil claimed victory in the JLT Novices' Chase. Congratulations to Farrier Benjamin Parker who shod Defi Du Seuil with Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates and Maddox Nails
- Bryony Frost became the first woman to ride a Grade One winner over jumps aboard Frodon in the Ryanair Chase. Congratulations to Tom Bougourd and Dan Hubbard who use Kerckhaert Kings Super Sound Race Plates to race in
- Paisley Park was victorious in the Stayers' Hurdle for trainer Emma Lavelle. Congratulations to Quinlan Farriery Ltd that shod Paisley Park in Kerckhaert Kings Super Sound Race Plates
- Lizzie Kelly steered Siruh Du Lac to victory in the Brown Advisory & Merriebelle Stable Plate. Congratulations to Stuart Govier and Andrew Bowyer that shoe Siruh Du Lac in Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates and Liberty Nails
- Ch’tibello won in the County Hurdle for Harry Skelton. Ch’tibello was shod by farriers Spud Allison, Phill Smith, Dave Webley with Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates and NEW Liberty Carrera Secure Nails
- Pentland Hills won in the Triumph Hurdle and was shod by Chapel Forge Farriers wearing Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates and Liberty Nails
Away from Cheltenham Kerckhaert Kings Plates continue to succeed and we warmly congratulate -
- Defi Du Seuil who won the Grade One 888Sport Scilly Isles Novices' Chase at Sandown. Congratulations to Benjamen Parker that shod Defi Du Seuil, with Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates.
- La Bague Au Roi won the Flogas Novice Chase. Congratulations to Chapel Forge Farriers that shod La Bague Au Roi, with Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates and Liberty Nails.
- Cyrname winning by 17 lengths in the Ascot Chase. Congratulations to Tom Bougourd and Dan Hubbard that shod Cyrname with Kerckhaert Kings Super Sound Race Plates.
- Some Chaos was victorious at Kelso. Congratulations to Wesley Powell who shod Some Chaos, with Kerckhaert Kings Extra Sound Race Plates. Some Chaos was trained by Michael Scudamore of Michael Scudamore Racing and ridden by Ben Poste.
Further notable successes include -
Farriers Spud Allison, Phill Smith, Dave Webley and team for shoeing the fastest 50 winners this National Hunt Racing 2018/19 season.
Tom Bougourd and Dan Hubbard who shoe for trainer Paul Nicholls and who recently gained his 3000th this season.
Marc Jerram BSc Hons AWCF whose client, Peter Burke, won at Wolverhampton with Citta D-oro (the only flat horse Marc shoes) wearing Kerckhaert Kings Plate Extra Sound.
Farrier Andy Martin AWCF ran his own Militarian at Cheltenham in the listed Close Brothers Novices' Handicap Chase. Militarian was ridden by Andy’s son and farrier James Martin DipWCF. Although no placing this time, this run followed 3 wins this season for this horse and continued Team Martin’s great season so far. Militarian was wearing Kerckhaert Triumph Plates.
The National Hunt season for 2018/2019 ends at the Sandown Jump Finale meeting on the 27th of April. We are very much looking forward to confirming the winning farrier(s) for the Kerckhaert Kings Plate National Hunt competition.
At the time of writing the National Hunt Championships Leaders are –
1, Paul Nicholls - Tom Bougourd & Dan Hubbard
2, Nicky Henderson - Chapel Forge Farriers
3, Dan Skelton - Spud Allison, Pip Smith & David Webley
4, Phillip Hobbs - Ben Parker
5, Nigel Twiston-Davies - John Benfield
The turf flat season will soon be underway with many winners to be had throughout the summer months. The Flat Championship Leaders currently include -
1, Michael Appleby - Ed Dodd
2, John Josden - O’Shaughnessy Farriery
3, Andrew Balding - E Cullen
4, David O’Meara - Richard Elkins
5, David Evans - Ryan Potter
The Stromsholm Kings Plate Competition follows both National Hunt and Flat racing horses and coincides with the Trainers Championships, with the winning farriers using Kings Plates in the yards accruing the most the prize money.
Bubbles for Kerckhaert Winners – not just racing
If you have shod a national or international winner, from any discipline, we want to hear about it!
Snap a pic of you with the winning horse – or even shoeing it – and get in touch. Call the office on 01908 233909 and speak to Dan Collins.